We've filled this page with a collection of links to other websites that we hope you will find fun, interesting, and useful!
The links in this index will take you to different sections of the Links page.
- Halifax Regional Library
- Halifax Regional Libraries website. Find books, movies, music, and place or renew holds. Also take a look at the latest news and events!
- Metro Transit
- Bus and ferry schedules, weather alerts, traffic reports, and general Metro Transit information.
- MADD Halifax Chapter
- Website for the Halifax Regional Chapter of MADD. Their laudable mission is to
stop impaired driving and to support victims of this violent crime.
- United Way of Halifax
From the United Way website:
Since 1925, United Way in the Halifax Region has been committed to our community. It was originally named the Community Chest and although the name changed over the years, the original mission to work with the community and support people has virtually remained the same.
- Halifax Info
- Cultural, historical, event, and visitor information about Halifax for residents and tourists alike.
- Halifax Metro Centre
- Information on events at the Metro Centre.
- 211 Nova Scotia
- Finding the community or social service that you need, when you need it.
CanadaHelps facilitates easy, online donating to local and national charities registered in Canada:
CanadaHelps is a registered charity and public foundation on a mission to make giving simple. Through CanadaHelps.org, anyone can donate to any registered Canadian charity online. For donors, CanadaHelps.org is a one-stop shop for giving. For charities, CanadaHelps is a cost-effective online fundraising solution.
- Government of Canada
- Access information on Canada, its government, and federal programs and services.
- Government of Nova Scotia
- Information on and services from the Government of Nova Scotia
- HRM Government Information
- Resources for Haligonians interested in the HRM's politics.
- Canada Revenue Agency
- Website of the Canada Revenue Agency for those seeking information on taxes and more.
- Human Resources and Skills Development Canada
According to HRSDC, their mission is to...
...build a stronger and more competitive Canada, to support Canadians in making choices that help them live productive and rewarding lives, and to improve Canadians' quality of life.
- Service Canada
- Access information on education, health, income assistance, starting a business, and more.
- Change of Address with NS Government
- Electronically update your address with the Registry of Motor Vehicles and on your Nova Scotia Health Card. Updates your address with the HRM Taxation Department as an added “bonus”.
Family and Parenting
- HRM Parent
- HRM Parent is an online community for families with kids under the age of six living, working, or playing in the HRM.
- IWK Health Centre
- The IWK Health Centre provides
quality care to women, children, youth and families in the Maritime provinces and beyond.
- Strongest Families
- The Strongest Families Institute offers over the phone support for parents and caregivers of children and youth from 3-12 years of age. Their effective and clinically tested modules include support for: •Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder •Oppositional Defiance Disorder •Anxiety Disorder •Nighttime Bedwetting
- Child Welfare League of Canada
The CWLC describes itself as...
...a membership-based, national organization dedicated to promoting the protection and well-being of vulnerable young people. CWLC plays a significant role in promoting best practices among those in the field of child welfare, child rights, child and youth mental health and youth justice.
- Today's Parent
- This website of a popular parenting magazine provides many resources for parents.
- VIOLET: Law & Abused Women
- VIOLET provides information on how to deal with and prevent domestic abuse.
- APA psychology topics
- Lots of useful information on various psychology topics from the APA.
- NS Department of Labour and Workforce Development
- Government information on worplace safety, training and education, labour legislation, and more.
- Service Canada Job Bank
- A federally funded, job listing website for many regions of Canada. Popular among employers.
- A bilingual job recruitment site for professionals in Atlantic Canada.
- Purports itself to be
Canada's biggest job site.
- A database of job listings in Atlantic Canada from the Chronicle Herald.
- Regional Help Wanted
- Job listings and resume posting services for Nova Scotians.
- YMCA Employment Centre of Halifax
The YMCA Employment Centre states that the centre is...
...a one-stop employment service for job seekers allowing them to job search independently or with assistance, meet with an Employment Specialist or Job Developer, participate in employment readiness workshops, and take computer courses that will assist them with job searching.
- Employment Insurance
- Information on the Government of Canada's Employment Insurance program. EI is administered by HRSDC.
- Nova Scotia Department of Education
- Website for the Government of Nova Scotia's Department of Education.
- Halifax Regional School Board
- Official website of the HRSB, featuring information for parents and students on public education in Halifax County.
- Nova Scotia Student Assistance
- Everything you need to research, apply for, budget around, and repay your student loans.
- Tools and information about educational savings, funding, and Canada Student Loans.
- Bright Career Futures
- Information and financial awards for students interested in building a career in Nova Scotia.
- Scholarships Canada
- Comprehensive listings of scholarships available to Canadian students.
- Service Canada: Education and Training
- Several resources from Service Canada for Canadians of all ages who are interested in continuing their education.
- Nova Scotia Community College
- NSCC website and student resources.
- Dalhousie University
- Dal website and student resources.
- Mount Saint Vincent University
- MSVU website and student resources.
- Saint Mary's University
- SMU website and student resources.
- Nova Scotia College of Art & Design
- NSCAD website and student resources.
- CBC News
- World, national, and regional news from a Canadian perspective.
- The Chronicle Herald
- News for Nova Scotians from the Halifax Herald Limited.
- The Coast
- An independent, locally owned, and free paper with everything Haligonians need to know about what's happening locally and beyond.
- Metro News Halifax
- The Halifax edition of
Canada's #1 free national daily newspaper.
- The Weather Network - Halifax
- Weather forecast for Halifax, NS.
- Sporting News
- Sports-only news website.
- BBC News
- News from the other side of the pond by the BBC.
- Spiegel Online
- International and business articles from German news source, Spiegel.
- Associated Press
- News from the Associated Press.
- Nova Scotia C@P
The Nova Scotia branch of the Community Access Program. From the website:
The CAP is supported by the Halifax Regional CAP Association in the HRM.
[The] CAP is a Government of Canada initiative, administered by Industry Canada, which aims to provide Canadians with affordable public access to the Internet and the skills they need to use it effectively.
- Google Canada
- The Internet's most popular search engine — and for good reason! With Google there is little you won't be able to find. You aren't limited to web sites, either: use Google to search for images, maps and places, stock information, books, and much more. Other popular search engines include Yahoo! and Microsoft's Bing.
- A free, online encyclopedia, available in several languages, which is written and edited by a community of knowledgeable contributors.
- Connect online with friends and family with personal messages, status updates, digital photo albums, and a lot more. As with everything on the Internet, protecting your privacy should be your top priority, so be aware of how your personal information is used.
- Keep in touch with those around you by “tweeting” short messages to your friends and following their tweets for updates.
- Kijiji Halifax
- Online classifieds for items and services in the HRM and surrounding area.
- eBay Canada
- Browse and buy thousands of new and used items from sellers around the world... or become one yourself.
- YouTube hosts and allows you to find and watch videos from millions of users.
- StumbleUpon lets you stumble across many interesting sites on the Internet by selecting your interests, subscribing to other stumblers, and sharing links with your friends. All you have to do is press the “Stumble!” button and see where it takes you.
- The Complete CSS Guide
- A comprehensive guide to CSS from Westciv that complements W3Schools' tutorials and references well.
- An online gaming and game development community with thousands of games available to play for free.
- Lots of free, online Flash games.
- Nick Jr. Arcade
- Several games designed especially for kids.
- Portal Flash Game
- An Flash version of the console game, Portal.
- A typing game from 2addicted.com. Type the letters to destroy them before they reach the other side. Also try Words and Bubbles.
- GROW Island
- Build your island civilization to its maximum potential by developing technologies in the right order. If you like that, try some of the other games in the GROW series on this website.
- Chat Noir
- Catch the cat!
- Spin the Black Circle
- Get the ball from start to finish just by spinning the circle. Sounds easy, right?
- People Bucket
- All you have to do is toss the people into the bucket.
- Sunny Day Sky
- Stay aloft as long as you can, making sure to collect power berries. Land on vehicles to score points; smooth landings double the points scored.
- Space Pips
- Point and shoot with your mouse. Move with the keyboard to collect space pips. Don't get hit!
- Samorost 1
- A puzzle and exploration game. Explore scenes with your mouse, and click the appropriate objects to progress.
- Samorost 2
- A sequel to Samorost 1.
- Similar gameplay to the Samorost games but with an educational twist.